Location: Court Farm, Pilgrims Road, Upper Halling, Rochester, ME2 1HR.
Date: 9th Dec.
Time: 10am - 2pm.
You're invited to join our Colour in the Margins project and artist Amanda Thesiger for a day of exploration in the beautiful arable countryside of Kent. Inspired by the title of Back from the Brink’s project - which aims to halt the decline in arable species - Amanda has designed a creative event, incorporating walking and drawing.
The day consists of a sign-posted walk through farmland to visit an arable field margin before returning to the farm. We hope people will make the journey in their own time - absorbing the experience, the landscape and the wildlife, without being rushed. Experts from Back from the Brink and partner organisations will be on hand, to guide and give valuable insights along the route.
After the walk, settle onto a straw-bale in our farmyard ‘studio’ and create a postcard using natural inks made with berries, bark and leaves. Explore working with ground chalk and earth, using tools sourced from natural materials, like field stubble... Work freely to record observations and feelings - the shapes and colours of the landscape around you.
Once home, we’d love you to send on your postcard with a message about the image and the Colour in the Margins project. Perfect for Christmas - a small art piece!
We'd also love you to share images of your card with us on social media using the #artfromthebrink and tagging us @naturebftb.
Back from the Brink will also photograph each postcard to create a resource of images.
- Please come by public transport/walk/cycle/car share if possible.
- Limited parking is available at the farm.
- Wear appropriate clothing and boots - bring layers and waterproofs!
- The walk covers steep ground, fields and woods via lanes and tracks - so the surface will sometimes be uneven. For visitors with limited access to outdoor sites, it is possible to reach the arable margin field via the lane to the bottom of Lad’s field and then join the postcard-making activity back at the farm. Maps will be available on arrival with the walking route marked.
- Hot food and refreshments will be available courtesy of Court Farm Shop at great prices.
The start/end point is:
Court Farm, Pilgrims Road, Upper Halling, Rochester, ME2 1HR.
The nearest station is Halling, approx. 15 mins walk from Court Farm.
For further information:
Please email: email@example.com